Knowing if you need a roof replacement can be more difficult than many homeowners realize. Typically, your roof needs to be replaced if it is old (the typical roof lasts about 20 years, but materials, original installation quality, slope, regular maintenance, and weather can all impact that number) or damaged (by hail, wind, debris, or other storm related damage.)
Signs you need a new roof:
- Roof age: The typical roof lasts about 20 years; however, materials, original installation quality, slope, regular maintenance, and weather all can increase or decrease that number. The rough weather in the Minneapolis area metro leads to more wear and tear on roofs than you see in more moderate climates.
- Recent storm damage- the most common culprits are hail, wind, and debris.
- Missing shingles.
- Visual damage to your shingles: bald spots, buckling, cracks, tears, curling at the corners, or dimpling.
- Visible damage on roof vents, pipes, gutters, or other metal fixtures.
- Loose material on roof.
- Evidence of rot, mold, or other moisture damage on or around the shingles.
- Areas of your ceiling appear to be sagging.
- Dark spots on your ceiling.
- Leaking, wet spots, or other interior evidence of water damage.
- Shingle granules in gutters: Even if your shingles appear to be in good conditions, excessive material in your gutters is good evidence that your shingles have been irreversibly damaged.
- Outside lights are visibly shining through your roof on the inside.
- Damage to gutters or downspouts or any obstructions in the functions of your regular drainage systems.
- Any obstructions in venting: dryer, bath, kitchen, or attic- make certain air exchange is functioning properly and venting entirely outside the home
- Insufficient chimney flashing: If your existing chimney flashing containers cement or tar, it may need to be replaced with water-tight metal flashing.
If you have any concern that it may be time to replace your roof, most Minneapolis metro area roofing companies will offer a complimentary roof inspection to identify if you need a roof replacement. Even though the above list is a good starting point, local experts in roof replacement and roof repair are your best resource since they may be able to identify other signs that you need a new roof. Also, even if you think your roof needs to be replaced due to age and regular wear and tear, a roofing expert may be able to identify latent storm damage making you eligible for a reimbursement from your insurance company.
This information has been brought to you by Snap Construction, Angieslist’s number one rated roofer in the Minneapolis metro.