Determining when it is time for a roof replacement is important for any homeowner. It is likely time for a roof replacement if the roof is old or there has been storm damage. If you are unsure how to inspect your roof, your local professional contractor can always help you. A typical roof needs to be replaced about every twenty years. Read about some signs that it may be time for a new roof.
- Roof age: The typical roof lasts about 20 years; keep in mind that this depends on materials, original installation quality, slope, regular maintenance, and weather. The rough weather in the Minneapolis area leads to more wear and tear on roofs than you see in generally moderate climates.
- Recent storm damage is an obvious factor for roof replacement. Hail, wind, and debris can quickly damage your roof. If a storm recently hit your home, call your local contractor for a free inspection of the possible damage.
- Missing shingles: If you notice missing shingles, a roof replacement is likely.
- Visual damage to your shingles: bald spots, buckling, cracks, tears, curling at the corners, or dimpling.
- Visible damage on roof vents, pipes, gutters, or other metal fixtures.
- Loose material on roof.
- Evidence of rot, mold, or other moisture damage on or around the shingles.
- Areas of your ceiling appear to be sagging.
- Dark spots on your ceiling.
- Leaking, wet spots, or other interior evidence of water damage.
- Shingle granules in gutters: Even if your shingles appear to be in good conditions, excessive material in your gutters is good evidence that your shingles have been irreversibly damaged.
- Outside lights are visibly shining through your roof on the inside.
- Damage to gutters or downspouts or any obstructions in the functions of your regular drainage systems.
- Any obstructions in venting: dryer, bath, kitchen, or attic- make certain air exchange is functioning properly and venting entirely outside the home
- Insufficient chimney flashing: If your existing chimney flashing containers cement or tar, it may need to be replaced with water-tight metal flashing.
If you have any concern that it may be time to replace your roof, most local roofing companies will offer a complimentary roof inspection. If storm damage is found during the inspection, you may be eligible for a reimbursement from your insurance company.
This information has been brought to you by Bloomington roofing contractor Snap Construction, Angie’s List’s number one rated roofer in the Twin Cities area.