Fall is officially here! Not sure what projects to tackle before the temperatures drop? Consider a few of these fall maintenance projects to keep your home in top condition throughout the winter.
1) Clean the gutters. Wait to do this until after the leaves have fallen.
2) Caulk around windows and door frames where necessary to prevent heat from escaping in the winter. A professional can perform a blower door test to calculate how much energy loss is occurring and seal the leaks.
3) When was the last time you had your roof inspected? If it’s been a while, call your local Bloomington roofing contractor and have them inspect it. They’ll inspect for missing or loose shingles, curling, and other signs of wear and tear. The changing seasons in the Midwest can significantly impact your roof. A roof is the first defense in protecting your home. Take care of roof repairs this fall so that you don’t have to discover a leaky roof during a snowstorm.
5) Ready your fireplace! Make sure that your home’s heating system is working efficiently.
6) Clean and cover your air conditioner. Vacuum internal parts and remove units from windows. Wrapping the outside of a window unit with a box is also okay. If you leave your air conditioner out and exposed to the winter elements, expect rust down the road.
7) Does your driveway have cracks? Clean your driveway and seal it. Sealing it helps extend the life of the asphalt especially during the chilly months.
8) Clean your yard equipment. Prepare everything for storage. When doing this, be sure to check that your snow equipment is working correctly. Place items you use in the winter in an area that is easy to access.
9) Prepare your outdoor living space for the cold months. Cover and store outdoor furniture in a protected space.
10) Rake the leaves on your yard as they begin to pile up. It is important to clear them from your lawn to avoid insect problems and suffocating the grass. Consider using the raked leaves in a compost pile or as mulch.
There are many projects to prepare your home for the approaching seasons. If you feel that you are not able to do something, call your local Bloomington roofing contractor like Snap Construction and they will happily help. How will you prepare your home for the winter?
This information is brought to you by Snap Construction, a local construction company serving the Twin Cities metro area.